The media and the powers-that-be like to focus on the negative effects of smoking, but rarely mention the benefits of not smoking? The positive aspects of doing something always motivate me more that the negative. So what are the benefits of quitting:
• Within the first few hours after quitting, nicotine and carbon monoxide leave the body, halving in 8 hours.
• Within 2 days, taste and sense of smell improves.
• In 3 days, breathing is easier and energy levels increase.
• Within 1 month, blood pressure returns to the normal level and lung function improves.
• Within 2 months, circulation improves.
• One year after quitting, the risk of heart disease decreases by almost 50%.
• Ten years after quitting, lung cancer risk is halved.
• Ten to 14 years after quitting, the risk of dying from cancer decreases to nearly that of non-smokers.
• After 15 years the risk of heart disease is almost the same as for a non-smoker.
• People who quit live longer than those who continue to smoke eg a smoker less than 50 years of age who quits now has half the risk of dying in the next 15 years compared to someone who continues to smoke.
The other benefit is Cost. In one year, a non-smoker saves $4,745.00 (based on one packet per day, average cost of $13 per packet of 25). That beats a stimulus package any day!
I have observed that people have a lot of reasons for quitting e.g. “for the kids”, “for my parents”, “for my partner”, “for my job”. Noble as all these reasons are they should never be the real reason. I have found that if the reason is external to you then you will tend to fall back into the habit. The best reason is “YOU”. If you believe you are worth it then you will succeed. The acupuncture treatment methodology used at Alba Therapies has seen people quit within 1 to 4 treatments. We don’t charge extra for these treatments and you don’t have to wear things in your ears. Call 1300 253 669 if you want to know more or want an appointment.